Monday, 20 July 2015


This is my first raven, carved in March 2015


I'm forgetting to post my work. This is the first face I carved. With input from Rick. Now, when I find the next two I made for some friends.

Monday, 13 July 2015

Starting Carol's Critters

Just managed to create an acceptable only took 5 starts and endless hourrs looking at photo's.

This is made out of cottonwood bark with a stone for the nose. it's polished using Kiwi Shoe Polish in dark brown and natural.

Applying shoe polish to to the carving is best done on a really hot day. It is easiest if the wood is warm and the polish is totally melted. I use a toothbrush to apply it. Let it sit for a while and then buff with a shoe brush or a soft cloth. The melted polish made it tricky to get the black applied in selected locations.

Sunday, 16 November 2014

Starting work on a mask

This is very exciting. Rick just gave me a blank for a big mask. Its red cedar - yay. I do love carving red cedar. Every cut smells so nice and is so beautiful. And I've been wanting to start a mask. The only challenge will be to finish the birch platter and not totally focus on the mask. 

Here's what the blank looks like - its almost ready to start carving. I added a pop can to one photo because I was having a hard time showing the scale. The can makes it look ginormous. 

Catching up

It has been a long time since I posted here but I just have to catch up for the sake of my distant friends.

At some point last fall, I decided that I wanted my cedar log to stand up so the leaf design was not going to work. I struggled with it for a while and settled on a change to fish.

Here is one of the last photos of the project before I 'erased' it and started again.

I'm back - birch fish platter

Just downloaded a blogger app so I'm hoping my blogging woes will be fixed.

So, where am I ...stopped working on the log when I was diverted by  a piece of birch from my daughters tree. Although it's still not complete, I am astonished when I look at the current state and realize that it was a hunk of wood when I started...and I haven't used one power tool in getting all the extra wood out.

The final product will be a sushi platter resting on two salmon. These photos are not current but they give you an idea of where I'm going with this.


Worm damage visible once the bark was removed:

Top view, work in progress:

Side view: